Tag Archives: error

How to fix 301 moved permanently error that may block wordpress from search engines

301

I know the title is long.

And I know this may not relate to this blog, but… someone needed to fix this!

The situation:

I have completely moved all my searches to duckduckgo (read the story), and I’m in the process of reviving this blog, however, when I look in my stats, there is almost no visits to this blog, so the first thing I did, I tried a search in duckduckgo and to my surprise, my blog is not indexed!

Although duckduckgo does not track your searches, they do pull results from bing and yahoo. And we all know by now that yahoo results are from bing.

So I go to bing webmaster tools, I ran a tool called Fetch as Bingbot, this tool will run the bingbot as same as it would normally and give you the results if there was any errors.

The results came in 10 seconds and it said Status: redirection limit reached. Then on the first actual results line, it showed (HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently). I was like huh?!

I have done a ton of search, installed some SEO and xmlmaps plugins to this wordpress site and pinged a few services, I changed the theme and removed any extra plugins then waited for weeks and months and nothing happened.

After a few hours looking at all the articles and un-answered questions on wordpress forums and other sites, it was apparent that it was from the server side. I logged in and checked everything on the server side on WHM and on the specific cpanel. Nothing yet.

I reached my frustration limit and decided to contact my hosting company.

WITHIN 3 HOURS and 5 REPLIES to my ticket, we found the solution, and that’s why I love the top level service I get with Interserver hands down the best service I got from any hosting company in the past 15+ years.

At first I was redirected to the correct department, then his first idea was to look at the .htaccess file, which was perfectly fine.

His 2nd suggestion was that when you type guruofsales.com in any browser, it redirected to www.guruofsales.com, and that created a loop.

BOOM, the solution was to go to my wp admin area, go to settings>generalĀ  then remove the www from both the wordpress address and the site address. save the changes. immediately go to the fetch as bingbot toll and it’s completely fixed with the amazing message: HTTP/1.1 200 OK.

Now I just have to write a new blog post so it get’s pinged and sit back and relax. guruofsales.com should show on search engines very soon.