This is the first article in the ‘While I was Gone‘ series and one of many about the cool Google products and changes.
I’m starting the series with a great product from Google that was launched recently, Google Profiles.
A Google profile is simply how you present yourself on Google products to other Google users. It allows you to control how you appear on Google and tell others a bit more about who you are. With a Google profile, you can easily share your web content on one central location. You can include, for example, links to your blog, online photos, and other profiles such as Facebook, LinkedIn, and more. You have control over what others see. Your profile won’t display any private information unless you’ve explicitly added it.
You can also allow people to find you more easily by enabling your profile to be searched by your name. Simply set your existing profile to show your full name publicly.
Google also allow your profile to become featured on Google.com’s search results, for example, Google my name right now ‘Alex Mohamed’ and you will see the last section of the first page on the results displayibng my Google profile Photo and link to the profile.
Best way to learn more about Google s from the example below:
In the screen shot above you will find the following from my profile:
1. My photo, name and my job title.
2. send me a message without knowing my email address (Unless you are in my Gmail contacts list), other wise this is great to connect with people minus the spam mail.
3. This section of the profile will link you to every possible profile of mine that is online (at least the ones I remembered 🙂 ) such as facebook and twitter. This section is great for people that’s as busy online as myself, it also saves me the dozen of links that I used to have on the top right corner of this blog to connect with me outside of this blog and even more (Thanks for the YouTube subscriptions guys).
4. Another section for more about myself, includes a bio, education, jobs, etc.
5. They didn’t forget how cool I am on Flickr, so they link to my most recent photos uploaded to flickr 😉
Also there is a section on the lower side of the page of places that I have been to on a mini Google maps version, that will even show my reviews about the good eats and restaurants that I have visited and reviewed (Nice eh?!)
On my side, I will post the link to my profile on this blog to be as a permanent ‘connect with me’ link so people can find most of my online profiles easier, and I may include it on my twitter account as my URL instead of this blog 🙂
Where will you link to your Google profile from?
Post a comment with your Google profile and I will connect with you 🙂